Go Back   Nintendo Wii Forum > Wiispace Community > Open Topic > Politics / Debate
 FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

WON'T YOU JOIN US?
You are not a registered member and
are viewing this site as a guest.
Registration is simple and FREE.
Join this CrowdGather community today.
Registration offers the following perks:

» Less advertising throughout
» Post and participate in discussions
» Network with other forum members
» Free private messaging

join

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 04:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Lyle91's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 833
Lyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond repute
Friends: (128)

Personally, if it were proven either way, I wouldn't have much trouble accepting the truth. Of course I'd be ready to change my beliefs again in the light of new evidence.

I know a lot of people would be in an uproar (if it were proven God doesn't exist), but not most. The ones that very strongly believe would continue on believing, just like they continue to believe the Earth is only 6000 years old despite all of the evidence to the contrary. And the ones that only believe to a point, would probably accept the new evidence and change their beliefs.

If it were proven that he did exist, then there probably wouldn't be much of a problem since 90% of atheists would just accept the evidence and continue to question and look for more answers.
__________________

Lyle the Gamer, Fan of all things video game related.

Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.
-- Leo Tolstoy


Last edited by Lyle91; 10-31-2010 at 04:42 PM..
Lyle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
meatwad420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,333
meatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond repute
Friends: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle91 View Post
Personally, if it were proven either way, I wouldn't have much trouble accepting the truth. Of course I'd be ready to change my beliefs again in the light of new evidence.

I know a lot of people would be in an uproar (if it were proven God doesn't exist), but not most. The ones that very strongly believe would continue on believing, just like they continue to believe the Earth is only 6000 years old despite all of the evidence to the contrary. And the ones that only believe to a point, would probably accept the new evidence and change their beliefs.

If it were proven that he did exist, then there probably wouldn't be much of a problem since 90% of atheists would just accept the evidence and continue to question and look for more answers.
believe me, people who believe in this are very small in number...lol. as long as maniacs like this arent running for any kind of office (and some are, unfortunately ) , then im fine with that belief...even though its , ya know , pretty much proven otherwise.
__________________



"Get baked and watch a space documentary. It'll change your life."
meatwad420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Lyle91's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 833
Lyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond reputeLyle91 has a reputation beyond repute
Friends: (128)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwad420 View Post
believe me, people who believe in this are very small in number...lol. as long as maniacs like this arent running for any kind of office (and some are, unfortunately ) , then im fine with that belief...even though its , ya know , pretty much proven otherwise.
Small in number in most of the civilized world, but not quite so small in a lot of the U.S. I think some numbers put it at 35-40% of adults. Of course that number is falling in the US, so I think we'll be okay in about 20 years
__________________

Lyle the Gamer, Fan of all things video game related.

Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.
-- Leo Tolstoy

Lyle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:57 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seeker of the Truth
 
Greatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Time Zone
Posts: 2,374
Greatheart has a reputation beyond reputeGreatheart has a reputation beyond reputeGreatheart has a reputation beyond reputeGreatheart has a reputation beyond reputeGreatheart has a reputation beyond reputeGreatheart has a reputation beyond reputeGreatheart has a reputation beyond reputeGreatheart has a reputation beyond reputeGreatheart has a reputation beyond reputeGreatheart has a reputation beyond reputeGreatheart has a reputation beyond repute
Friends: (44)
Personally, I've seen enough evidence through prophecies, science confirmation of facts in the Bible, archeological confirmation, and what I have seen in my own life. My brother shouldn't be alive, but he is. (the story I have told in a previous thread)

As for living life to the fullest, I believe that the rules set forth in the Bible allow me to live my life to the fullest. I don't know where I would be if my parents didn't hold me to it, and I held myself to it when I was old enough.
I have gained respect from my peers and those in authority. (even from people who follow what I believe) They see that I don't just talk the talk, but I walk the walk. Now I am in an internship at a company and going for an Electrical Engineering Degree. When I finish my degree, they will give me a job to travel all over the world and earn quite a bit of money doing it. (not saying how much)
I am not saying that this will happen for everyone because you might be in China being persecuted for being a Christian, but I have seen how following the Bible has helped my life.
__________________

"6 The LORD said, 'If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.'"

Genesis 11:6
Greatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Budule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,896
Budule has a reputation beyond reputeBudule has a reputation beyond reputeBudule has a reputation beyond reputeBudule has a reputation beyond reputeBudule has a reputation beyond reputeBudule has a reputation beyond reputeBudule has a reputation beyond reputeBudule has a reputation beyond reputeBudule has a reputation beyond reputeBudule has a reputation beyond reputeBudule has a reputation beyond repute
Friends: (15)
Just keep it out of politics, thats all i ask......dont want people in power making decision that effect me based on religion.....
__________________

Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Waterworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 909
Waterworld has a reputation beyond reputeWaterworld has a reputation beyond reputeWaterworld has a reputation beyond reputeWaterworld has a reputation beyond reputeWaterworld has a reputation beyond reputeWaterworld has a reputation beyond reputeWaterworld has a reputation beyond reputeWaterworld has a reputation beyond reputeWaterworld has a reputation beyond reputeWaterworld has a reputation beyond reputeWaterworld has a reputation beyond repute
Friends: (12)
*opens door*

Hey guys whats going on in.....here......O_O

*slowly walks back out.....shuts door*
__________________

"Wherever you go.......there you are."
Waterworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Rockman WTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 99
Rockman WTF has a reputation beyond reputeRockman WTF has a reputation beyond reputeRockman WTF has a reputation beyond reputeRockman WTF has a reputation beyond reputeRockman WTF has a reputation beyond reputeRockman WTF has a reputation beyond reputeRockman WTF has a reputation beyond reputeRockman WTF has a reputation beyond reputeRockman WTF has a reputation beyond reputeRockman WTF has a reputation beyond reputeRockman WTF has a reputation beyond repute
Friends: (2)
Ultimately religion is based on a flawed chain of thought. A book proclaims itself the word of God, someone that we know exists based on the words of that book. People have found some minor, circumstantial evidence of biblical events, yes, but they found them using flawed science. Scientists were searching for evidence to support their conclusions rather than conclusions to support their evidence. Ultimately, it does nothing but serve to make people build their perception of "morality" on something that is not ultimately "morality". If you're going to be a good person, you should do it for the sake of being a good person, not because you believe God will smite you if you don't. Further proof is the ways religion does and does not conform to modern society. For example, it prohibits homosexuality, something that people naturally tend to discriminate against the same way it used to discriminate against blacks and women. Furthermore, this entire belief is based around 1 or 2 verses of the bible that were surrounded in other commandments stating things such as how eating seafood is an "abomination". People pick and chose the versus that agreed with their preconceived notion of god and then invented a supreme being to justify it. There are plenty people out there who are genuinely religious, but there are just as many who simply use religion as a way to blindly justify their bigotry and simplicity.
__________________

And nobody knows what to do with the Heat
Under sunshine pylons we'll meet
while rain is falling, like Rhinestones from the sky.

Look carefully and you might find Super Secret Highlighty text!
Rockman WTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
meatwad420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,333
meatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond reputemeatwad420 has a reputation beyond repute
Friends: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman WTF View Post
People pick and chose the versus that agreed with their preconceived notion of god and then invented a supreme being to justify it. There are plenty people out there who are genuinely religious, but there are just as many who simply use religion as a way to blindly justify their bigotry and simplicity.
yep. couldn't have said it any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
Just keep it out of politics, thats all i ask......dont want people in power making decision that effect me based on religion.....
and yep. couldn't have said it any better.
__________________



"Get baked and watch a space documentary. It'll change your life."
meatwad420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #29 (permalink)
"You're friendly neighborhood bloggerman"
 
SuperHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: If you want to know come to my house and ask me.
Posts: 1,915
SuperHero has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHero has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHero has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHero has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHero has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHero has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHero has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHero has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHero has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHero has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHero has a reputation beyond repute
Friends: (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
Just keep it out of politics, thats all i ask......dont want people in power making decision that effect me based on religion.....
Yeah, well. If a person has (or doesn't have) any kind of religion, I'm pretty sure that it will shine through in there politics no matter what. And I'd rather have it the other way around. Keep your *points at Washington* stinking politics outta my religion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterworld View Post
*opens door*

Hey guys whats going on in.....here......O_O

*slowly walks back out.....shuts door*
XD ROFL!
__________________



"There's a difference between mean and saying the truth"
- Reizo_PR
So, from now on, if you're ever offended by my "truefullness", you'll have to take it up with Reizo.

"superhero says reading the thread is good 4 making u look like less of a jiblet head"
-yuNg_TimO

You sir, need to be abused. And well, I'm free.
SuperHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
CordlessDrillSgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 164
CordlessDrillSgt has a reputation beyond reputeCordlessDrillSgt has a reputation beyond reputeCordlessDrillSgt has a reputation beyond reputeCordlessDrillSgt has a reputation beyond reputeCordlessDrillSgt has a reputation beyond reputeCordlessDrillSgt has a reputation beyond reputeCordlessDrillSgt has a reputation beyond reputeCordlessDrillSgt has a reputation beyond reputeCordlessDrillSgt has a reputation beyond reputeCordlessDrillSgt has a reputation beyond reputeCordlessDrillSgt has a reputation beyond repute
Friends: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHero View Post
Yeah, well. If a person has (or doesn't have) any kind of religion, I'm pretty sure that it will shine through in there politics no matter what. And I'd rather have it the other way around. Keep your *points at Washington* stinking politics outta my religion!
Well, certainly religion shouldn't be given free reign to do whatever it pleases (see the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the Salem witch trials, 9/11, etc.), but if you were talking about keeping politics out of religion in general then I can see your point.

However, I think it is far more important to keep religion out of politics at this point, especially with American atheists/agnostics on the rise. Right now I believe we stand at about 16% of the US population according to some recent polls. We outnumber several well-known special interest groups and have significantly less voice in national policy. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of ostracizing we receive from the religious types.
CordlessDrillSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
2008-2016 Crowdgather